Your Chamber, Your Community
Executive Director Pittsburg-Camp County Chamber of Commerce
The Executive Director is employed by and accountable to the Board of Directors of the Pittsburg-Camp County Chamber of Commerce and is responsible for effectively leading the organization such that it successfully achieves its mission of service to members. Specific areas of responsibility include executive leadership of the staff of the organization; support of positive member relations; executive support to the Board of Directors of the organization; community connecting / liaison activities; and active participation and leadership in local, regional, state and, if appropriate, national levels on advocacy activities relating to business policy, legislation, and regulation.
The Chamber Office
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Chamber, including management of programs, staffing, membership and marketing efforts
• Greet and help visitors coming into the office seeking information
• Possess proper phone etiquette
• Oversee the general finances of the Chamber
• Monitor Chamber’s fiscal condition
• Ability to perform cost-benefit analysis of proposed ideas, projects and events.
• Quick Books experience helpful
• Work with the Board President to prepare agendas and materials for Board and Executive Committee meetings
• Develop goals and objectives for recommendation to the Board
• Support the officers of the Chamber
• Supervises or delegates supervision and management of all committees.
• Assists the Board President and elected officers in selecting qualified personnel for committee assignments.
• Directs appointments to committees.
• Directs or organizes specific committee projects.
• Responsible to staff committee meetings, plan, and arrange meetings, supervises the preparation of notices, reports, and other materials.
• May delegate supervision of projects and committees, divisions and/or departments.
Membership and Sponsorship
• Directs all membership solicitation efforts, including solicitation of new businesses in the community and ongoing maintenance of current members.
• Oversees record keeping for such purposes.
• Prepares and assists in preparing membership solicitation letters to prospects, along with other material pertinent to membership promotion.
• Directs follow-up or contact of all delinquent members for renewal of membership.
Member and Public Relations.
• Responsible for all communications to the membership and general public. This includes:
o Official Publications. Prepares or directs the preparation of official chamber publications such as pamphlets, bulletins, newsletters, magazines, columns and the like
o News Releases. Prepares or directs the preparation of articles or fact sheets reflecting the views of the organization or the reporting of projects or activities. Serves as contact between organization and media. Maintains publicity files—photographs, biographies, clippings, and other materials needed for articles or features
o Public Speaking. Represents the organization at appropriate meetings. May speak or find others to speak about community and chamber activities
• Implement a marketing plan for the chamber to assure a positive community image.
• Develop and maintain a positive and helpful relationship with city and county governmental agencies; neighboring Chambers and the State chamber.
• Serve as the principal spokesperson and ambassador for the Chamber at business and community events, meetings, etc.
• Build partnerships with other organizations
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct the annual and long-term planning process
• Identify and develop revenue generation programs and events
• Operate within and advance the polices of the Chamber
• Assure that organization priorities are responsive to member needs and serve to advance Pittsburg and Camp Counties economic welfare
• Maintain open communication with the Board, and work with the Board in the governance of the Chamber; bring issues to the Board in a timely fashion
• Develop goals and long range plans of the chamber
• Any additional duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Skills & Abilities
• Outstanding public speaking and presentation skills
• Effective written communication skills
• Strong customer service skills
• Outstanding time management and event planning skills
• Ability to foster teamwork and collaboration between/among Board members, staff, Chamber members, volunteers, community leaders, elected officials and strategic committees and organizations.
• Strong Executive and supervisory skills, including ability to plan, organize, lead, delegate, and monitor
• Passion for collaboration and networking
• Ability to work a wide and flexible range of business hours
• Ability to motivate others to be champions of chamber initiatives
• Commitment to the best business practices for the Chamber
• Minimum of 5-10 years management/executive level experience in a business-related field or other leadership position, including supervision of professional staff and oversight of finances.
• Working knowledge of local, regional and state-level political systems and experience in developing collaborative relationships in these areas
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; or comparable professional training and experience.